Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

I started to read the book, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. I’m not that far into it yet, so I don’t really know if I should be able to have an opinion on it.
But I do!
So far this book is extremely boring. I can’t even get through two pages without absentmindedly losing focus and wondering what’s for lunch. At this point, I don’t know if I’m going to keep reading it. However, the cover says the New York Times called it “Frightening, Feverish, and Terror.” So maybe I should just try harder to get through the first 30 pages and a plot will actually form. If I still don’t like it, then I’ll stop.
This book is about nine-year-old Trisha and her troubled family. Her parents got a divorce and everything is falling apart in her life. Her older brother, Pete, is constantly fighting with their mom. Trisha just wants it all to go away and to have peace. The only way she can escape all the chaos is dreaming about Tom Gordon, her favorite player on the Boston Red Sox. And lately, she’s wishes she was with him instead of her family. Ever since the divorce, Trisha and Pete’s mother is trying to keep the three of them a happy family. She drags them to museums, parks, anywhere educational and “fun” in mom terms, that is. It’s just another day when they are forced by their mom to go on a hike in the Appalachian Trails. Another screaming match has broken out between Pete and their Mom. After going to the bathroom behind a bush, Trisha finds herself lost in the middle of the woods. Soon Tom Gordon is the only person around to protect her, even if it is just inside her head.
So I don’t really know why I don’t like this book. It’s a good idea, but the beginning is dragging on and I can’t get through it. Also I might not like this book because I don’t really like sports, and it’s all about how she’s obsessed with this big baseball player. I’ll keep plowing through it, I guess. Wish me luck :D

No comments:

Post a Comment