Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Shadow Baby

Okay, right now I'm reading a book called Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee. This book is about an eleven year old girl Clara Winter. I really love her character because she's very witty and smart. She has a wild imagination and isn't afraid to speak her mind. The story is set up when Clara has a school assignment in which she must do an oral history project on a senior citizen. Immediately she finds an old man, (who throughout the story she simply refers to as the old man.) Clara and the old man become friends quickly. A lot of times, Clara is the only one talking and goes through many efforts to get the old man to say more. As they spend more time together, however, the old man tells Clara of his childhood and the secrets that come with it. Clara has always been overly curious about her past. She knows she once had a twin sister, and though her mom, Tamar, always denies it, she also knows she once had a father and a grandfather. Throughout the story, Clara struggles to dig out the secrets about her never-spoken-of family. And in the process, makes a friendship with the old man she'll always remember.
As this book started out, I liked it a lot, but now I'm getting kind of bored. I'm going to try to keep reading it though because I want to find out what happens. Even though it's a little boring at the moment, it's still a really good book. The characters are thought out very well and the writing is amazing. Though Clara thinks and acts like she's much older than eleven, the author brings out parts of the story where you can clearly tell her innocence and youth. Clara reminds me sometimes of myself when I was around that age because she thinks she knows everything and she's just really quirky and curious with a vivid imagination. Also she reminds me of some other characters like Madeline or Eloise, like it said on the back of the book. Most of the time I read about books about people my own age, but this one is an important exception. And just because it's about an eleven year old doesn't mean the book was made for eleven year old readers. I'm pretty sure and it would be really hard for an eleven year old to read this book and that they would resort back to their Captain Underpants quickly haha. Anyways, I'm curious to see what Clara finds out about her twin sister so I'm gonna try to finish the book !

1 comment:

  1. Sounds alot like one of those over-dramatic novels that always have some giant shocker at the end of the book that they kinda gave away....... not really my style of book as you can see. XD It sounds ok.... but I don't think I'll get around to it.

    ReplyDelete