Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Last blog of the year, and probably the last blog I'll ever write cos they're kind of a pain! Anyways, I procrastinated to the last second to do the required blog on poetry haha. I decided to blog on the book Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein because I always loved these poems as a kid.
My favorite poem of his is Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out because when I was little I never wanted to take the garbage out so my parents would read me that poem. They would try to scare me by saying:
"At last the garbage reached so high
that it finally touched the sky.
And all the neighbors moved away,
and none of her friends would come to play."
I was upset my friends couldn't come to play, but I thought it'd be cool if the garbage touched the sky!
Another poem I've always loved of his is Where the Sidewalk Ends. It always reminds me of when my friend and I were walking home and the sidewalk abruptly came to a stop and turned into dead grass. "It's Where the Sidewalk Ends!" we laughed.
And one last poem of his I love is Hug O' War. If everyone thought like how Shel Silverstein thinks in this poem we would definitely have World Peace.
"I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins."
Even though his poems all have the cliche rhyming scheme, I still love them. They have great rhythm. And to be honest, what little kid wants to read poetry that doesn't rhyme? Maybe little English teachers-to-be.
All of Shel Silverstein's poems in this book hold a different memory of my childhood so I like going back through the book to read them.
I really like the twists and puns Shel puts to his poems. They're genuine, like no other. Shel Silverstein is reallyyyy talented. He's written so many creative poems, drawn amusing drawings, and he's even written some songs. Last year I had to do a project on him for English, and I found out his first job was for Hugh Hefner. He made comics for him or something haha. Anyways, I love the fun he incorporates in his poetry. I don't think I'll ever grow out of this book :D

No comments:

Post a Comment